Consumer fraud is rampant across Iowa. Fraudulent business practices can take many forms, from false advertising to outright scams. Unscrupulous businesses all too often prey on unsuspecting consumers through too-good-to-be-true offers, free trials, limited-time offers and other tactics.
Des Moines consumer fraud attorney Marc A. Humphrey at Humphrey Law Firm, P.C., represents consumers who have stumbled into fraudulent schemes. As a local lawyer with more than three decades of experience, Mr. Humphrey has built a well-respected career on fighting injustice and standing up for the underdogs. You can turn to him for personal, approachable guidance on how to get your money back and hold the culprits accountable.
What Can You Do To Protect Yourself?
Contact a Consumer Fraud Attorney in Des Moines
Iowa’s consumer protection law allows individual consumers — or a class of consumers, in certain situations — to bring a private cause of action (lawsuit) against businesses or individuals who perpetrate fraud. Consumer fraud complaints typically involve:
- Office scams: Fake companies will sometimes solicit orders for office supplies and then vanish without ever delivering on your order.
- Fake charity solicitations: Be careful about phone and mail solicitations for charitable purposes. Sadly, some schemers will take advantage of your generosity through fraudulent solicitations.
- Fraudulent work-from-home schemes: These employment schemes often require you to invest money upfront, purported to cover overhead costs. However, you may end up losing that money, and your “payments” may turn out to be fake checks.
- Pyramid schemes: Like work-from-home scams, pyramid schemes often make dramatic promises of enormous earning potential, none of which come to fruition.
- Money transfer scams: Fraudulent money and wire transfers are rampant across the country.
- Door-to-door sales scams: Magazine subscriptions, fundraising sales, food products and other door-to-door offers are often legitimate, but they can sometimes be scams.
- Mail scams: Free-trial offers, sweepstakes entries, claims that you won a prize and other mailings are sometimes designed to suck you in and steal your money.
Many of these fraudulent schemes result in identity theft, and some are even fronts for organized crime.
Every case is different. As a result, it is critical to seek professional guidance regarding your situation. At Humphrey Law Firm, P.C., we can analyze your case and walk you through your options. And because the law allows consumers to seek attorney fees from the opposing party, financial constraints should not prevent you from pursuing legal representation.
Learn More About Your Options
For a free initial consultation, call 515-331-3510 or contact our firm online. We offer convenient evening and weekend appointments.