To recover damages following a motor vehicle accident involving a commercial truck, the responsible party must be identified. Liable parties in a truck accident may not only include the truck driver, but also the truck driving company and other third parties.
- Truck drivers may be liable in an accident for any number of reasons from breaking traffic laws to distracted driving, being impaired, or driving drowsy. A truck driver may be liable for injuries and property damage if their negligence causes an accident.
- The trucking company that hires the trucker may also be liable, often due to pushing a driver to meet unrealistic deadlines or not performing adequate inspections. If the trucking company (or another individual or company) owns the truck they may be liable if they failed to maintain the truck including brakes, tires, and electronic systems crucial to the safe operation of the vehicle.
- The cargo loaders may also be liable in a truck accident if cargo was not inspected or secured properly. Uneven loads resulting in tipping accidents, or boxes and equipment falling from trucks, can result in property damage and injury.
- Truck manufacturers may also be liable if a defect in the parts of a truck cause an accident. Anything from a tire blowout to a mechanical brake failure may trace back to a problem in the truck manufacturing process.
- Sometimes a lack of proper road signage or warnings can lead to accident with trucks on the highway. Those responsible for erecting signs alerting motorists to potential hazards such as construction zones or other hazardous conditions may also be liable in an accident involving a commercial truck.
Contact an Experienced Truck Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one is injured in an accident involving a commercial truck, it is important to work with an experienced attorney to pursue compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, as well as compensation for damages to property. Liable parties in a truck accident may not only include the truck driver, but also the truck driving company and other third parties. If you are injured in a motor vehicle accident involving a commercial truck, it is important to identify all liable parties to maximize compensation. Contact Des Moines personal injury lawyer Marc Humphrey for immediate assistance today.